Stricter Regulations for Restaurants
This paper was prepared for Engl 135, Advanced Composition, taught by Professor Onega
Stricter Regulations for Restaurants
Restaurants are a daily destination for a many consumers. Consumers go to restaurants to grab a meal throughout the day. Regardless of if they go to fast food restaurants or a dine-in restaurants it is expected that their food to come to them quick. However, what they do not know is the health code regulations that employees may disregard in order to provide faster service, and to save money. What may be even more disturbing is that these violations are supported and even more so encouraged by some management. At some restaurants it is routine to, re-use leftover coffee from the previous day, to let cooked food sit for near two hours, or to even skimp on employee hand washing during a rush. All of these concerns and more lead to the conclusion that restaurants should be more intensely watched by the health department with frequent, sporadic inspections, and to implement more strict consequences when it comes to the violations.
Some management of fast food restaurants would argue that more sporadic and frequent health inspections by outside agencies would interfere with their business, because it would take up more restaurant manpower hours. In reality this is true, because they are in business to make money, but it also said because they say this because it would require them to do more cleaning and keep a more watchful on eye to ensure their employees were following health guidelines. The article High-end Fare, With Side Order of Violations (2007) identifies a situation in which the restaurant was not notified prior to inspection, the result of this was the revelation of multiple major health violations ranging from mixing salads and handling food with bare, unwashed hands, to letting raw food...
When food becomes contaminated, it has the potential to make you sick. Depending on the source and level of contamination, the effects of contaminated food can cause symptoms such as cramps, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, nerve damage, allergies and paralysis. While eating food contaminated with pathogenic bacteria, allergens or bacterial toxins has a relatively quick effect, food contaminated with mercury needs to be eaten regularly over time to have a significant effect.
Video of the Day
Food-borne infection is a type of food poisoning that can result when you eat food that is contaminated with pathogenic bacteria, such as E. Coli or Salmonella. When enough bacteria are present, they can multiply in your digestive tract and make you sick. Although many foods contain some bacteria, certain species are particularly hazardous and cause symptoms such as stomach cramps, nausea, fever, diarrhea and vomiting. Results can be serious and life threatening for babies, elderly people, pregnant women and people with compromised immune systems. Depending on the species of bacteria, symptoms of food-borne infection can take as long as a month to develop.
Over time, mercury released from industrial processes has settled in earth’s waterways and been absorbed into the food chain. Because of this, various fish species are contaminated with unsafe levels of mercury with large fish having the highest levels. People who eat fish such as tuna, swordfish and mackerel regularly are at risk for mercury poisoning. Mercury is a neurotoxin that can damage your nervous system, decrease your fertility level and possibly increase your risk of heart disease. Young children and pregnant women are the most sensitive to these effects and should be conscious of how much fish they eat.
Processed food products occasionally become contaminated with unknown allergens when manufacturers accidentally let them come into contact with ingredients from a different product. This can happen when processing equipment is not properly cleaned between the manufacturing of different products or there is an error in the ingredients added. The most common allergens are peanuts, soybeans, fish, milk, eggs, tree nuts, wheat and shell fish. When a food product is contaminated with an allergen that is not listed on its label, it becomes a serious health threat to people with allergies.
Food intoxication is a type of food poisoning caused by bacterial toxins. Although the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus and Clostridium botulinum will not make you sick, the toxins that they release into food can. If you eat food that is contaminated with C. Botilinum, you will experience symptoms such as weakness, vertigo and vomiting within 36 hours. Without medical treatments, food intoxication from botulism can lead to paralysis and possibly death.
Lose Weight. Feel Great! Change your life with MyPlate by LIVESTRONG.COM